I love the smell of my freshly painted house; after all, it’s reminiscent of the fact that we are inching closer to Diwali. Things were different the year I was pregnant. We did not get our home painted. The lead in the paint could cause skin issues and potentially harm my baby.
Diwali is here and it’s time for celebrations, preparations, and happiness. And yes, while we celebrate the triumph of good over evil, we also pray to the almighty to scrub and cleanse our souls to purity. I also make this secret wish- cleanse and scrub my skin too for that sparkling glow. And if you are pregnant, the exposure to dust and pollution from crackers, the greasy food, and hectic schedules could leave the skin dull, dry, and irritated.
As an expectant mom, you can still clean your house, shop till you drop and give in to your cravings while taking optimum care of your skin and body. Toxins will be lurking in the air; shield your skin and use a proper Toxin-Free Skin Care regime to keep infections at bay.
Avoid toxins this Deepawali – Follow a natural skincare regime
A woman’s body is most vulnerable when she is pregnant. Her skin needs extra protection and care. Homemade packs and scrubs are absolutely natural and cleanse the skin while retaining moisture levels. They do not contain any toxins and the natural cleansers eliminate dust and grime from deep within the layers of the skin. Skincare products that have chemicals could potentially harm the growth and development of the fetus. Sulphates, parabens, and synthetic fragrances are some of the chemicals found in skincare products. Their use is an absolute no-no in pregnancy, a fact that so many expectant moms are unaware of.
Note: Over 12,000 chemicals are used in personal care products—89% of them haven’t been reviewed for safety. Source
As an expectant mom, what skincare regime should I follow in the festive season?
Try and go the natural and organic way as much as possible, so your skin is protected from the adverse effects of toxins. You can find a plethora of skin friendly ingredients right in your kitchen! Make your own DIY natural body scrub by blending atta or besan with coconut oil. Not only is coconut oil awesome for gentle deep cleansing, it also moisturizes and heals dry, damaged and itchy skin. Olive oil is another natural ingredient you can use for cleansing and moisturizing. Pregnant moms need an intense moisturising toxin-free skin care regime as the pollutants in the air tend to strip the epidermal layers of their natural oils. Treat your skin to the natural goodness of cocoa and shea butter, renowned for their excellent healing and skin hydrating properties. They contain antioxidants that protect the skin while restoring their elasticity and suppleness. A dash of peppermint oil added to your face mask will go a long way in soothing tired muscles.
Here are some skin care tips for expecting moms to celebrate a toxin-free Diwali this year
- Try staying indoors when the pollution from the crackers is at its peak. When stepping outdoors, use a scarf to protect your face from environmental hazards.
- Incorporate a chemical-free range of natural body care products into your daily skincare regime. Opt for products especially formulated for pregnant women which are completely toxin-free and nurture and protect the skin from within.
- Follow a diligent cleansing regime. Use coconut oil for daily cleansing or opt for a coconut based cleanser. Use a toxin-free body wash that not just cleanses the skin, but restores the natural moisture levels and leaves your body clean and fresh.
- An effective pregnancy face cream will maintain your skin’s elasticity, providing you instant relief from dry and itchy skin. Look for a toxin-free product that has the richness of cocoa, shea butter and essential oils. Slather the cream luxuriously all over and give yourself a comforting massage!
- Try sipping some caffeine-free teas to digest all the delicious oily food and give relief from acidity and heartburn.
- Drinks lots of water to keep the body and skin hydrated, soft and supple.
Discover All-Natural, Australia-Certified Toxin-Free Care for MomsWrap-Up
Some environment conscious skincare brands are making a sincere endeavor to provide the goodness of nature for moms-to-be, in their toxin-free range of products. The air becomes extremely polluted during Diwali and the toxins not just harm the skin, they are potentially dangerous for the developing fetus. While we cannot control the air that we breathe during the festivities; we can definitely make an intelligent choice by using natural skin care products that are chemical-free. Let us make a new beginning this Diwali by embracing nature to take good care of our skin and body!