Summers usually translate into fun vacations, much awaited visits to grandparents and delicious seasonal fruits. However, things get a little tricky with a baby around. Look no further, our summer endurance manual is all you need to keep your little baby comfortable as cool as a cucumber in soaring summer temperatures.
1. First things first, choose cotton, loose-fitting and highly sweat-absorbent clothes to keep the baby cool and happy. Overdressing with heavy fabrics could lead to angry rashes, while an under-dressed baby could be prone to sunburns or worse, heat stroke. Overdressing also sometimes leads to overheating, wherein it could be difficult to arouse the baby from a deep sleep leading to SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).
Keep it simple with lesser buttons, strings and frills, preventing irritation and/or sweating. Make it a point to choose baby carriers and accessories made from thin cotton fabrics over heavy fabrics like denim.
2. Hydration Matters. Breastfeed babies the thin, watery fore milk on-demand for the much required increase in hydration. For babies under six months, you don’t need anything else, not even water.
– Yummy summer drinks –
For older kids, increase the intake of fresh seasonal fruits, juices and smoothies. Tender coconut water, fruit-infused water and freshly made buttermilk are some other yummy alternatives that replenish the body’s minerals and pH balance. Consider naturally cool and nutritious foods as nachni, bajra, barley and cucumbers for mealtimes.
– Keep diaper count –
Keep a count on the number of wet diapers to monitor and keep dehydration away. A flushed face or warm skin, rapid breathing and restlessness may be warning signs of dehydration. Call for medical attention if coupled with high fever.
3. Ditch the diaper and switch to cotton nappies, keeping the skin dry and the baby comfortable. As convenient as they can be, disposable diapers lead to rashes, more often than not. Treat rashes with the The Moms Co. Natural Diaper Rash Cream that has the most effective natural ingredients like Zinc Oxide, Hydrolized Oat Protein & Organic Chamomile Oil to prevent, treat and provide quick relief against irritated, inflamed skin. Know why you should use cotton nappies.
4. Avoid the harsh midday sun at all costs. For babies under six months, stay indoors during the peak sun from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. If unavoidable, cover the baby’s head with a wide-brimmed cotton hat. Prefer shady and air conditioned areas over open spaces.
Apply baby-friendly and water-resistant sunscreen for kids older than 6 months. You can try The Moms Co. SPF 50++, PA ++, waterproof Natural Baby Sunscreen that uses safest natural ingredients like Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide and Natural Oils to protect your baby’s delicate skin against the harmful UV rays.
5. Bath time is fun time with a big tub of optimal temperature water. An inflatable pool with squeaky toys, doubles up as a play area for a baby who can sit up without support. Choose mild and natural skin cleansers, like The Moms Co. Natural Baby Wash, that works to keep the baby’s natural skin moisture levels intact while gently cleansing, nourishing and moisturising.
6. Ensure that the baby’s room is well ventilated with heavy drapes, keeping the bright daylight and heat away. Choose the coolest part of the home for the baby. Use air conditioners on moderate temperatures to keep the room cool and non-stuffy.
7. Travel smart with a baby. Use a car seat to keep the baby safe inside the car. Make sure to use window shades to keep the baby cool and to avoid sunburns.
With these tips, it’s possible to keep your baby fresh, hydrated and happy even on the hottest day! Tell us what you do to keep your baby comfortable through the long, hot days of summer.Also read on to know Summer Fun Activities for your Toddler.