Benefits of Kaolin Clay For Your Skin
. If you are a skincare enthusiast, then you probably know about the many benefits that natural clays offer. For ages, clay has been used to enhance skin texture, tone, and complexion
There are a variety of natural clay skincare products that work as highly purifying, gentle and effective cleansers. The bBenefits of Kaolin clay are numerous and it is one such clay that is suitable for all skin types and works as a cleanser, exfoliator, and much more!
What Is Kaolin Clay?
Kaolin clay is one of the widely used clays in skincare. It is a fine powdered clay that is generally white in color. Kaolin clay is also extensively used in mineral makeups. It is suitable for normal to dry and sensitive skin.
Kaolin clay originates in China and is commonly called white clay or China Clay. It is rich in silica and has neutral pH levels. Depending on the various minerals and plant materials present in the clay, Kaolin clay can sometimes be pink, red, green, or gray. Each of these coloured Kaolin clays has different characteristics. Irrespective of the colors, the kaolin clay benefits and instant results will leave you in awe!
If you have oily skin and are worried about acne, blemishes, and open pores, you might benefit from the Kaolin clay usage.
Benefits Of Kaolin Clay For The Skin
Kaolin clay is the mildest of all the cosmetic clays, making it suitable for all skin types. It is widely used in skincare products as the benefits are innumerable:
Excellent facial cleanser
The minerals in kaolin clay can remove oils, excessive secretions, and other contaminants from the skin. It serves as a cleansing and refreshing agent by absorbing excessive oil and impurities thus reducing any blemishes.
Detoxes and clears pores
Skin pores get clogged with the extra secreted facial oil, bacteria, and dead skin cells. Kaolin clay absorbs this extra sebum and prevents pores from clogging. Hence it is used to draw out impurities and toxins from the pores. The excessive skin oil, dirt, and pollution causing any redness or irritation are removed with the kaolin clay use.
Absorbs excess oil
Skin needs natural oils to keep it supple. This means, the skin needs some amount of natural oil to look soft and radiant. But excess oil is a problem resulting in oily skin. Kaolin clay absorbs this excess oil mildly, without stripping the skin, or causing dryness. Kaolin clay benefits dry and sensitive skin too by maintaining the skin’s natural oils and moisture.
Kaolin clay has soothing qualities that can calm the irritated skin caused by an insect bite or any skin rash or skin reaction. It has healing properties that help soothe any type of inflammation, irritation, and redness on the skin.
Kaolin clay benefits acne-prone skin by removing acne-causing impurities from the pores in a gentle, nonirritating, and nondrying way.
Kaolin clay is an excellent exfoliator. It can remove even the tiniest quantities of dirt, pollutants, and bacteria from the skin without hampering the skin. The natural texture of this clay allows it to gently slough away dull and dead skin. This results in brighter skin. The gentleness of Kaolin clay helps the sensitive skin to mildly exfoliate harmlessly.
Kaolin clay is a natural shampoo to remove oil, dirt, and other pollutants from the scalp. It also boosts blood circulation to the scalp, resulting in strong hair follicles. Kaolin clay benefits dry, brittle hair by cleansing it without stripping the hair’s natural oil.
Works as a deodorant
A completely natural deodorant, Kaolin clay detoxes the underarms to stop odor-causing impurities and bacteria. This clay absorbs sweat and helps soothe the underarms skin with a cooling effect.
Kaolin clay deodorant can be made by mixing 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1 tablespoon of shea butter, and 4-5 drops of essential oils with kaolin clay.
Tones the skin
As Kaolin clay is used as a great exfoliator and cleanser, it helps to give the skin an even tone. Regular exfoliation and taking care of the skin pores helps to reduce their size and stimulates new skin turnover. Thus making the skin tone excellent!
These numerous benefits of Kaolin clay make it a leading component of skincare products that are natural, organic, and skinfriendly.
How do you apply Kaolin clay to your face?
Kaolin clay could be easily applied to the skin for getting benefits with its various skin-boosting properties. It could be used as:
The powdered form of Kaolin clay could be used for the regular cleansing procedure:
- Take some warm water into your palm
- Mix a pinch of kaolin clay with this water
- Rub it on your face gently
- Wash it off and pat your face dry
Follow these steps to use kaolin clay as a face mask:
- Clean your face properly before applying the mask.
- Keep the brush(applicator) clean before and after applying the mask. This will ensure that no pathogen enters your skin.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of kaolin clay with 2 tablespoons of milk to make an easy and quick kaolin clay mask.
- Apply the mask on your face and neck to get even-toned skin on both areas.
- Let it stay on your face for at least 10 minutes.
- Moisturize your skin after you wash off the mask.
The versatile kaolin clay uses, with its skin nourishing properties make kaolin clay the best suitable clay to use on any kind of skin.
Best Kaolin Clay Products
The Moms Co. recommend the following products infused with kaolin clay benefits for getting a natural blemish-free, spotless and glowing skin:
NATURAL CLAY FACE MASK
Natural, toxin-free Clay Face Mask from The Moms Co. comes with the power of pure Moroccan Lava, Kaolin and Fuller’s Earth Clays, Activated Charcoal, and plant AHA’s to detoxify the skin, remove impurities, and absorb excess sebum which results in reduced blackheads, acne, and blemishes, giving the skin a brighter look.
OILY SKINCARE KIT
The Natural Clay Face Wash pulls away dirt & grime from the pores. It absorbs excess oil & leaves the skin feeling squeaky clean yet hydrated. The Natural Daily Toner helps regulate sebum production and tightens pores for visibly refined skin. The Natural Green Tea Face Scrub gently exfoliates the skin & helps control the acne-causing bacteria. The Moms Co. Natural Vita Rich Cream provides adequate hydration to oily, acne-prone skin, without making it feel greasy or sweaty.
NATURAL CLAY DEEP PURIFYING FACE KIT
This kit comes with a clay face wash, a clay face mask and an applicator. It aids in removing excess sebum and cleanse the skin deeply. While detoxifying the skin, it tightens the pores and minimizes their appearance. This kit helps improve skin tone, hydration and gives a radiant glow.
DIY Face Masks With Kaolin Clay
Combining a few ingredients to add on the benefits of kaolin clay can make miraculous masks. To maximize the effectiveness of kaolin clay use, with added benefits of other nutrients try the DIY face masks with kaolin clay:
- Kaolin clay + Shea butter mask
Shea butter is enriched with vitamin A, E, F, and antioxidants. It works as an excellent moisturizer for the skin, has anti-aging properties, and also helps reduce any skin swelling. Combining kaolin clay with shea butter plays wonders for skin in smoothening, softening, toning, and balancing oil secretions. To make this mask:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of shea butter, aloe vera gel, and kaolin clay
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey and 2-3 drops of lemon juice to it
- Make a thin paste with this mixture
- Apply it over the face, neck, and hands
- Rinse with cool water after 15 minutes
- Kaolin clay + Activated charcoal mask
Kaolin clay and activated charcoal make excellent face masks for absorbing excess oil. Charcoal has a unique ability to bind with toxins and impurities so that bacteria, dead cells, excessive oil, and toxins are swept away. The addition of probiotic capsules and apple cider vinegar to this mix helps prevent acne. Probiotics contain ingredients that help fuel the growth of the helpful microbes that already live on the skin and destroy the harmful bacteria that cause those painful unwanted acne bumps. To make this mask:
- Mix 1 tablespoon Kaolin clay with 1 tablespoon each of activated charcoal and probiotic powder
- Add 2 tablespoons of raw Apple Cider Vinegar to this mix and make a paste
- Get a smooth, spreadable consistency
- Add 2 drops of essential oil and stir
- With clean fingers, spread it over the face and let sit for 15 minutes
- Rinse with cool water and apply a moisturizer thereafter
- Kaolin clay + Witch Hazel extract mask
Witch hazel has antibacterial and moisturizing properties, effective in treating acne, clogged pores, razor burns, and removing under-eye bags. Kaolin clay mixed with Witch hazel extract forms a miracle mix:
- Combine 1/2 tablespoon of Kaolin clay with 1 tablespoon of witch hazel extract
- Apply it to the face for 10-15 minutes
- To remove the mask, wash your face with warm water and a washcloth
- Kaolin clay + Rosewater mask
Rosewater acts as a natural toner. It helps relax the skin, maintain its pH value, fight acne and reduce the appearance of scars and blemishes while hydrating the skin. Rosewater also has anti-aging properties, and can lessen inflammation, redness and irritation of the skin. To make a kaolin clay and rose water mask:
- Take some rose petals and put them in a mixer-grinder
- Add a splash of milk so that it is easier to crush the petals
- To this add 2 tablespoons of kaolin clay, rose water and honey
- Make a smooth but thick paste
- Your face pack is ready to be used!
- Apply it in a massaging manner to the face
- Leave it for 20 minutes or until the mask dries
- Wash with cool water
- Pat dry the skin
- Kaolin clay + Cucumber extract mask
Cucumber is filled with moisture and provides a cooling and soothing effect on the skin. It helps alleviate sunburn, fights breakouts, while nourishing the skin, and also helps reduce puffy swollen eyes. Kaolin clay with a cucumber extract mask creates a combination that unclogs and purifies the pores and detoxifies the skin without drying out. To make this:
- Blend some cucumber, use 2 tablespoons for making the mask
- Add 2 teaspoons of kaolin clay to the cucumber extract
- Add 3-4 drops of tea tree oil
- Make a smooth paste and apply over the skin
- Leave the mask until it dries off
- Rinse with warm water
- Kaolin Clay + Vitamins B3 and E mask
Brown rice flour is rich in Niacin (vitamin B3), Thiamine (vitamin B1), pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), vitamin B6 as well as magnesium, and phosphorus. These B vitamins help with skin renewal, moisturization, repair sun damage, decrease wrinkles and fight acne. In this mask, the powdered brown rice flour also helps to exfoliate the skin. Avocado is a rich source of vitamin E, having antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents that help your skin stay smooth, strong, and elastic. Avocado helps calm itchy skin, heal chapped skin, replenish moisture to dry skin, hydrate, and shield the skin from ultraviolet radiation while protecting against skin damage.
- Take 2 tablespoons of brown rice flour
- Add 2 tablespoons of mashed avocado or 1 teaspoon of avocado oil
- Add 2 tablespoons of kaolin clay
- Put all ingredients into a small cup and add just enough water to get it to a nice usable consistency
- Spread it over your face
- Rest it for 10 minutes
- Before the mask dries completely, rinse your face
- Dab it and dry it.
- Kaolin clay + Plant-based AHAs mask
Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) derived from fruit acids are among the best ways to exfoliate your skin. By breaking down the bonds that hold the cells together, they help slough off the dead skin cells, loosen dirt, makeup, and clogged pores to reveal the smooth skin beneath. Simple homemade AHA masks help revitalize skin, giving you a gorgeous, and fresh glow. Some great detoxifying plantbased AHAs masks can be made with grapefruit, champagne, and wine:
- Kaolin clay + Grapefruit Mask
- Extract juice from half a grapefruit, which should give you at least 5 tablespoons of juice
- Mix powdered kaolin clay with the grapefruit juice
- Apply a thin layer over clean skin
- Leave it for 10 minutes
- Rinse with warm water
- Kaolin clay + Champagne
- Take ¼ cup champagne
- Mix around 30gms of powdered kaolin clay with it
- Add 2 tablespoons of organic heavy cream (half-and-half or plain, both works good)
- Add some water to this mixto make a paste
- Apply it onto the face and neck and let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water
- Apply a mild moisturizer after patting your skin dry
- Wine + kaolin clay mask
It forms one of the best anti-aging masks:
- Take 2 tablespoons red or white wine
- Add 2 tablespoons of grape juice. You can extract it by squeezing or crushing a handful of organic red grapes
- Add 1 tablespoon Kaolin clay
- Add 1 teaspoon raw honey
- Combine all ingredients in a non-metal bowl
- Mix until you have a smooth consistency, adding more wine if needed
- Spread the paste evenly over a clean face and neck, avoiding the eye area
- Relax and let the mask penetrate the skin for 10–15 minutes
- Rinse and follow with a moisturizer
The kaolin clay skin benefits get enhanced when mixed with the correct combination of ingredients. These kaolin clay masks are perfect for detoxifying, pulling out impurities, absorbing excess sebum, exfoliating, and giving your skin a radiant and matte look..
Can we use Kaolin clay daily?
While Kaolin clay is gentle enough to be used every day, it also depends on your skin type. For people with oily and acne-prone skin, it can be used as a face cleanser to remove excess sebum and impurities from the skin. People who have normal or dry skin type should ideally use kaolin clay 1-2 times a week.
Kaolin clay has a very soft, fine texture. When coupled with water or other natural ingredients such as Activated Charcoal, it can deliver other benefits of kaolin clay to the skin. You can also opt for face care products that contain Kaolin clay such as a clay cleanser which can be used daily to combat oily skin.
Kaolin-based clay masks, though mild, can be used twice or thrice a week for best results. Also, the use of clay products is highly dependent on weather conditions. Hot and humid weather is bound to make oily and acne-prone skin worse while winter weather may not affect it as much.
Clays to look out for apart from Kaolin Clay
There are many other natural clays other than Kaolin clay used in skincare regimes:
It helps in deeply cleansing your skin, flushing out the toxins, and giving the skin a soothing effect. It is best used to relieve skin conditions like dermatitis, acne, skin infections, skin irritation, itchy skin, and inflammatory skin lesions.
Moroccan Lava clay
It has natural astringent properties which help tighten the skin and shrink the large pores. Moroccan lava clay helps exfoliate dead skin cells, balance sebum secretion of the scalp and aids in healthy hair making the hair soft, silky, shiny, and manageable.
Fuller’s Earth clay
Also known as multani mitti, fuller’s earth clay is best used for oily skin. It effectively absorbs oil, dirt, and impurities from the skin. Fuller’s earth clay has great bleaching properties hence used for skin brightening treatments.
The Benefits of kaolin clay are multiple depending upon the kaolin clay uses like masks, deodorants, cleansers, and exfoliators. Kaolin clay being the best suited for all skin types is used extensively worldwide. Using natural kaolin clay skincare products can give you blemish-free, smooth and radiant skin to flaunt.