When it comes to taking care of your skin, antioxidants are vital and should be a part of the skincare products you use. Just like how our body needs a mix of vitamins and minerals to keep it healthy in the long run, our skin too needs antioxidants to repair and protects itself from damage caused by exposure to the sun, pollution and other elements. Antioxidants are naturally occurring vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin A etc. that protect your skin from damage caused by free radicals. What are free radicals, you ask? Free radicals are molecules in the environment that can damage your skin by clinging to collagen and weakening elasticity. While antioxidants work to neutralize free radicals, some of them also work on improving skin radiance, calming skin irritation and reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Do Antioxidants in skincare work?
When it comes to skincare ingredients, antioxidants are some of the hardest working ingredients out there. Not only do they neutralize free radicals, but they also offer a host of other benefits such as reducing fine lines and wrinkles, moisturizing the skin, reducing inflammation, calming and soothing the skin and more. Depending on your skin type and the problems you want to solve, you are bound to find antioxidants that will work to protect your skin and keep it healthy in the long run.
What do Antioxidants do to the skin?
Throughout the day, our skin gets exposed to dust, pollution, radiation from the sun and harmful chemicals. All of these can trigger the formation of free radicals which can lead to skin dullness, loss of elasticity, dark spots and more. Using skincare products that are rich in antioxidants can help neutralize free radicals and reduce its harmful effects on the skin. Here are some ways in which antioxidants can benefit your skin:
- Antioxidants help even out skin tone
Frequent exposure to the sun and free radicals can alter the way our body produces melanin. This can create dark spots, pigmentation and uneven skin tone. Antioxidants work to reduce photodamage which helps reduce pigmentation. Some antioxidants work to inhibit melanin production which helps even out skin tone.
- Antioxidants reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
Exposure to pollution, sun’s rays, chemicals and smoking can lead to the formation of free radicals. These free radicals can break down collagen and reduce skin elasticity which can lead to the formation of wrinkles and fine lines. Using skincare products with antioxidants plumps up the skin and reduces the appearance of early signs of ageing.
- Antioxidants help skin repair itself
Inflammation comes in the way of the skin repairing and rejuvenating itself. Antioxidants help reduce inflammation and enable the skin to repair itself. Some antioxidants, like Vitamin C, stimulate collagen production which is vital for healthy skin.
- Antioxidants repair sun damage
Many times people don’t apply sunscreen as often as they should or don’t apply it as liberally as they should. Due to these reasons, the skin gets exposed to UV rays which can trigger free radical damage and lead to early signs of ageing in the form of dark spots, wrinkles, fine lines and more. Using an antioxidant can help neutralize the free radical damage caused by the sun rays. Some antioxidants can also help calm the skin which is especially beneficial after sun exposure.
- Antioxidants reduce inflammation
Free radicals can cause skin inflammation which can trigger acne and lead to the formation of wrinkles. Antioxidants neutralize the effect of free radicals, thereby reducing inflammation.
Which Antioxidants are best for skin?
There are a number of great antioxidants that are beneficial for your skin as each one of them has specific properties that can help keep your skin healthy and nourished. However, there are a couple of antioxidants that stand out due to the nature of their properties and the benefits they deliver to the skin. Here’s a look at some of the important antioxidants you must include in your skincare routine.
- Vitamin C – When applied topically, Vitamin C plays a vital role in keeping our skin healthy. Vitamin C helps promote collagen production which helps diminish fine lines and keep the skin firm. It also helps promote a healthy cell turnover and repairs damage caused by the sun’s harmful rays. Vitamin C also inhibits melanin production which helps even out skin tone and reduces pigmentation and dark spots. It’s best to use Vitamin C as part of a face serum as serums can deeply penetrate the skin and work on repairing and replenishing it from within. Get the benefits of Vitamin C in Natural Vita Rich Face Serum! Enriched with Vitamin C and Hyaluronic Acid, it diminishes pigmentation and improves uneven skin tone while deeply hydrating the skin, making it the best face serum for dry skin.
- Niacinamide – As we age, our skin’s ability to retain moisture and heal diminishes which makes it prone to developing early signs of ageing such as fine lines, wrinkles and dullness. Niacinamide is a powerful antioxidant that helps strengthen the skin barrier and skin’s ability to retain moisture. It also helps reduce the appearance of early signs of ageing such as fine lines and wrinkles and promotes even skin tone by reducing pigmentation and dark spots. It’s best to use an anti aging night cream with Niacinamide in it to give your skin the benefits of this potent ingredient and help repair and replenish it overnight. Try our Natural Age Control Night Cream which is enriched with Bakuchiol, Niacinamide, Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin E. It helps reduce early signs of ageing such as fine lines and wrinkles, restore skin firmness, evens out skin tone and reduce skin dullness.
- Green Tea – Another potent source of antioxidants, Green Tea is known to be anti-inflammatory and works to reduce the effect of free radicals generated by exposure to UV light. If left unchecked, these free radicals can cause early signs of ageing such as fine lines and wrinkles, loss of skin elasticity and dullness. Choose an anti aging day cream with Green Tea extracts in it to protect your skin from the harmful UV rays when you are out and about. The Natural Age Control Day Cream has Bakuchiol, Green Tea Extract, Hyaluronic Acid and Sea Buckthorn to protect your skin from harmful effects of pollution and UVA rays and fight early signs of ageing.
- Vitamin E – Vitamin E is a naturally occurring component of our skin. However, with time and sun damage, our skin’s Vitamin E levels diminish. Vitamin E is known to reduce inflammation and keep the skin supple. It also reduces the appearances of fine lines and keeps the skin moisturized. Since the skin under the eyes is thinner and loses moisture easily, it’s best to use an under eye cream with Vitamin E in it. This will ensure that the delicate skin under the eyes remains moisturized and retains its elasticity. Our Natural Vita Rich Under Eye Cream has Coffee Oil along with Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin E to reduce dark circles, puffiness, fine lines and leave the skin feeling soft and moisturized.