Having a skincare routine is a great way to target specific skin care concerns ranging from dark circles, pigmentation and early signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles. While people usually develop a skincare routine in their early 20’s, it’s important to include anti ageing products in your skincare routine by the time you reach your mid-20’s because that’s when our skin starts showing early signs of ageing.
What are the major causes of ageing?
There are two types of factors that cause ageing – extrinsic and intrinsic factors. As we get older, our body’s internal processes – from cell turnover to recovery slow down. This process begins at birth and gradually becomes slow or takes time to complete. These are known as intrinsic factors and are inevitable. They cannot be controlled or delayed and can lead to early signs of ageing such as wrinkles on face, skin roughness and fine lines.
Extrinsic factors, on the other hand, refer to external factors such as the environment, our diet, exposure to the sun and more. While it’s impossible to delay or prevent signs of ageing, you can avoid certain lifestyle and skincare mistakes that can help reduce the appearance of signs of ageing.
- Smoking: Smoking exposes your skin to oxidative stress – an imbalance between free radicals and antioxidants in the body. It also constricts the blood vessels which inhibits the flow of oxygen from reaching the skin cells. This can lead to skin dryness and wrinkles. If you smoke then it’s best to quit smoking.
- Sleeping: Lack of sleep is another reason for early signs of ageing. Sleeping on your stomach or side can lead to the formation of wrinkles over a period of time due to the force extended on the skin.
- Alcohol: Drinking alcohol can lead to skin dehydration and release a hormone known as glucocorticoids which can contribute to signs of ageing.
- Diet: A diet high in sugar, salt and unhealthy fats can make connective tissues rigid and lose its elasticity. Choose a balanced diet that’s full of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and keep yourself hydrated to prevent early signs of ageing.
- Pollution: Exposure to dust, car exhaust and noxious gases can lead to skin dehydration, clogging of pores and pigmentation – all of which contribute to signs of ageing.
- Stress: Stress releases hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline which can lead to inflammation and speed up the process of ageing.
- Exposure to the sun: The ultraviolet rays from the sun can penetrate the skin and cause damage to elastin fibres which keeps the skin firm. This allows the skin to develop wrinkles UV exposure can also lead to break down of collagen fibres which can further exacerbate signs of ageing.
- Scrubbing your skin: This can lead to skin irritation and accelerate ageing. Cleanse your skin gently to remove sunscreen, makeup, dust and pollution and pat your skin dry.
- Repeated facial expressions lead to contraction of muscles and when you contract the same muscles for a long time, those lines become permanent.
Now that you know the reasons that lead to early signs of ageing, it’s important to follow a good anti ageing skincare routine that works on early signs of ageing such as fine lines and wrinkles, restores skin firmness, repairs and rejuvenates the skin.
When it comes to anti ageing skincare products, Retinol is usually considered the gold standard ingredient and is commonly used. While Retinol works on a host of skin ageing concerns such as fine lines and wrinkles, age spots, softening rough patches of skin and stimulating collagen production, it also has some serious adverse effects which one should consider beforehand. Retinol is known to cause skin redness, flakiness and sensitivity which makes it unsuitable for people with sensitive skin type. It is also not safe to use during pregnancy as it can harm the baby in utero. When using Retinol products, it’s recommended to use them at night as Retinol is known to make the skin sensitive to UV light.
However, there is a natural alternative to Retinol which works just like it without the adverse effects – Bakuchiol. Derived from the Babchi plant, Bakuchiol is a vegan alternative to Retinol that works to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, speeds up skin regeneration, promotes cell turnover and reduces dark spots and pigmentation. Bakuchiol is also suitable for sensitive skin as it doesn’t cause any redness, flakiness or irritation and is safe to use during pregnancy. It also boosts skin elasticity and firmness and soothes rough skin.
The best anti aging cream also has ingredients such as Niacinamide and Hyaluronic Acid which are known to reduce pigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles and deeply hydrate the skin.
The skin under your eyes is thin and delicate and tends to lose moisture easily. This makes the under eye area more prone to showing early signs of ageing such as wrinkles and fine lines. When choosing an anti ageing eye cream, it’s best to use one that has natural ingredients such as Bakuchiol, Hyaluronic Acid and Coffee Oil. Together, these ingredients work to hydrate the delicate skin under the eyes, reduce dark circles and the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
The best anti-aging night cream has hydrating ingredients that work to replenish lost moisture along with ingredients that reduce early signs of ageing such as fine lines and wrinkles such as Niacinamide and Bakuchiol.
Wondering what’s the best way to get the benefits of these ingredients? Try The Moms Co.’s Natural Age Control Range. Powered by Bakuchiol, the range has three products to create the perfect anti ageing skincare routine for you.
Here’s a simple skincare routine to help fight early signs of ageing such face wrinkles and fine lines.
- For your day time skin care routine, start by cleansing your face and neck with a gentle cleanser that’s suitable for your skin type. Choose a Sulphate-free face wash such as The Moms Co.’s Natural Vita Rich Face Wash which has Olive Oil based cleansers and natural ingredients such as Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin C and Vitamin B3. Not only does it gently cleanse your face, it also deeply hydrates the skin, reduces pigmentation and uneven skin tone and improves the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Next, apply a generous amount of Natural Age Control Day Cream on your face and neck and massage in upward circular motion. The Natural Age Control Day Cream protects skin from UVA damage and provides pollution defence with natural ingredients such as Zinc Oxide and Green Tea Extracts. It also has Bakuchiol and Hyaluronic Acid which reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and deeply hydrate the skin.
- If you wear make up then the Natural Age Control Day Cream will also work as a primer for your makeup and protect your skin from damage.
- For your night routine, the Natural Age Control range has under eye cream and night cream which evens skin tone, restores skin firmness and reduces the appearance of dark circles for a healthier, glowing skin.
- Take a pea sized amount of Natural Age Control Night Cream on your ring finger and gently apply it along the eye contour area. Follow this up with Natural Age Control Night Cream. Take a generous amount of the night cream and apply on your face and neck. Gently massage it in upward circular motion.
The Natural Age Control Range is made with the safest natural ingredients and is Australia-certified toxin-free. The entire range is dermatologically-tested and suitable for sensitive skin. It is also PETA-certified cruelty-free. Now get the power of Bakuchiol with Natural Age Control range to fight early signs of ageing and give your skin a healthy glow.